Getting Involved is Easy:
- Visit http://www.data.gov/.
- For first timers, review the easy-to-use applications by clicking on "Apps".
- Pick your favorite choice and follow the directions once you are re-directed.
- As an example, pick the "Visualizing Community Health Data" application and then "Community Health Status Indicators Database"
- Choose a State (e.g., Maryland) and County (e.g., Montgomery) and select "Display Data".
- Review the type of data you're interested in for that county. For example, find average life expectancy data under "Summary Health Statistics", prevalence of various infectious diseases and pollutant exposure under "Environmental Health", or comparisons to similar communities under "Relative Health Importance". You can also find demographic data, rates of common risk factors for premature death, birth and death measures, and other types of information that may be interesting or useful for you.